Home > Pensions > Pension Tax Relief

Pension Tax Relief

Author: J.A.J Aaronson - Updated: 11 March 2014 | commentsComment
Pension Tax Relief Efficient Personal

The government spends considerable amounts of time devising schemes that will encourage individuals to save money in personal or company pension schemes. It is generally accepted that on its own, the State Pension is not sufficient as a single source of income, and so the government is attempting to make personal and company pension schemes as enticing as possible.

Tax breaks are the key incentives that a government can offer. The Exchequer's pension 'tax relief' scheme offers a lower tax bill on contributions made to Personal Pension or company pension funds. The way in which the tax relief system will work for you depends on what type of pension scheme you are paying into.

Company Pensions

If you are making contributions to a company pension scheme, it is highly likely that your contributions will be deducted automatically before you even see your wage packet. Tax deductions are also made in the same way, using the PAYE System. Pension contributions, however, are deducted before your tax is calculated, ensuring that these contributions remain tax-free. This means that you will almost certainly be required to take no action whatsoever in order to ensure either that your contributions are made on time, or that they are as tax-efficient as possible.

Personal Pensions

If you are making contributions to a personal pension scheme and you are a basic rate taxpayer, the responsibility for claiming tax relief rests with your pension provider. They will claim the tax back from the relevant tax office, and it will automatically be added to your pension fund. If, on the other hand, you are a higher rate taxpayer, you will be required to make your own claim for tax relief through Self Assessment.

There are various other ways in which pensions have been made highly tax-efficient. Perhaps the most widely cited of these is the right of the pension-holder to withdraw a lump sum equal to 25% of the total fund on maturity. It should be noted, however, that the tax-free status of this lump sum only applies to a lifetime allowance of £1.8 million (this figure is for the tax year 2011-12, but from 6th April 2012 it will be £1.5 million). You would, however, have to have a considerable total fund in order to exceed this threshold. Furthermore, you should remember that pensions are not subject to capital gains or investment income. This is particularly useful for those whose pensions are linked to the stock markets or make use of other such investment vehicles.

There are limits on the amount of tax relief that you can claim, but these are not relevant for the majority of individuals as they are very high. The key fact to remember is that the maximum amount of relief to which you are entitled is equal to 100% of all your earnings for that tax year. Similarly, although you can contribute to as many pension schemes as you wish, you can only make contributions up to a maximum annual amount, set at £50,000 for the 2013-14 tax year. For the 2014-2015 tax year the amount will be reduced to £40,000. Contributions made above this limit will be subject to tax at 40%. As you can see, you would have to be a very enthusiastic saver in order to exceed either of these thresholds.

You might also like...
Leave a Comment...
Hello, My boss said that if I write to my tax office and ask for tax relief for my pension they will give it to me. Is that right. What do I have to say to them when I write to them? Thanks
Jan - 6-Sep-12 @ 5:51 PM
What about those who are self employed or live off investment income. Are they allowed to deduct pension contributions against this investment income. If not why not?
Vlado - 13-Jun-12 @ 6:48 PM
Leave a Comment or Ask a Question...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
  Notify me by email when a response is posted
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Dotto
    Re: What is Income Tax?
    I bought a property in 1976 for my mother to live in rent free which she continued to live in until 2012. After that date I fully refurbished…
    29 August 2014
  • fowers
    Re: How Will My Second Job Be Taxed?
    If i had my firs job at 16 hrs at 7-00 an hour and m second job 16hrs at 6.55 a hour how much tax and insurance ill i pay .
    29 August 2014
  • Roeey
    Re: Income Tax and Pensioners
    I am claiming state pension but I do some occasional part-time work through an agency. I have been given a K tax code which the tax…
    26 August 2014
  • millie
    Re: Is it Worth Taking A Part-Time Job on A Pension?
    I have just retired and get a state pension and saving credit , would these be affected if I do bank…
    7 August 2014
  • donthaveone
    Re: Are DVLA Car Tax Rates Fair?
    its all about money nothing to do with being fair. you pay to use the road then the likes of newham council want to turn newham in…
    2 August 2014
  • Dizzy
    Re: Payment of Pensions
    Is it all possible for my state pension to be paid on a set date every month, this is to make it more convenient for setting up standing…
    27 June 2014
  • lonegroover
    Re: How do I Claim A Tax Refund?
    Hi Can you help ? My daughter is a keep fit instructor and works for a private company. She delivers a number of classes and…
    25 May 2014
  • n/a
    Re: Should I be Paid Mileage Allowance?
    Iwork for a mental health unity .Am Ito claim travelling allawnce
    4 May 2014
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the TheTaxGuide website. Please read our Disclaimer.