Home > Tax Credits > Self Assessment Tax

Self Assessment Tax

By: J.A.J Aaronson - Updated: 2 Sep 2012 | comments*Discuss
Self Assessment Tax Income Employment

For the majority of taxpayers in Britain the tax system is something for which little or no thought is required. Most of those who pay tax do so through the Pay As You Earn, or PAYE, system, which automatically deducts tax payments from the wage packet. As a result, very little action is required on the part of the payee.

For others, however, payment of tax is a more complex affair. If you are not covered by the PAYE Scheme, you will be required to go through the process of self assessment. This particularly applies to those who are self-employed, as well as some pensioners and other individuals.

The Self-Assessment Process can seem more daunting than it actually is. If you feel overwhelmed by the fairly lengthy forms that you are required to complete, just remember that a huge number of people have to do the same thing every year. It is also worth remembering that, while they work hard to collect the right amount of tax, HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) are not ’out to get you’ or deliberately trying to catch you out. A relaxed attitude is all-important for taking the stress out of self assessment!

Self-Assessment Forms

The self-assessment process hinges on the self-assessment form, which was traditionally sent to all affected tax-payers by post, but which can now also be completed online. The information that you give on this form is then used by HMRC to determine how much you are required to pay in tax. Alternatively, you also have the option of performing these calculations yourself. Don’t be tempted to ‘underestimate’, as you will inevitably be found out and will be faced with a hefty bill to pay afterwards.

Most self-assessment taxpayers are only required to fill out the ‘basic’ self-assessment form. This is only four pages long, and will generally apply to those who are self-employed with an annual turnover of less than £15,000, pensioners, or some employees. On the other hand, if your affairs are more complex (for example, if you receive several different types of income), you will be required to fill in the full 12-page document, as well as some of the extra pages that apply to different situations.

Important Deadlines

It is very important that you register as a self-assessment taxpayer as soon as you think you have become one. This can be done by contacting your Tax Office directly. You may receive a self-assessment form immediately; if not, you will receive one in April along with everyone else.

There are a series of important deadlines that you must stick to during the tax year. In the first instance, it is important to remember that you must inform your Tax Office of your new employment status within three months of the change. After this, there are well-publicised deadlines every year by which you must return your self-assessment form. If you miss this deadline, you will have to pay a penalty (if you are a day late there is a fixed £100 charge, and there are more heftier fines for further delays), as well as interest on any tax that is owing.

HMRC has 12 months in which to process your return and inform you of your tax bill. They perform a series of random checks on some returns, as well as individual checks that might be caused by anomalous figures. As a result, you shouldn’t be surprised or scared if you receive a call from HMRC within the 9-12 months after you return your self-assessment form.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Yorkie
    Re: How Will My Second Job Be Taxed?
    Hi, I'm in full time employment and in my employers service dept. I earn a decent wage, on the edge if being a higher rate…
    9 April 2019
  • White
    Re: Claiming Tax Relief on Mileage
    Hello there im looking for advice on my current role i have been told i need the fill out a self assessment tax return due to my…
    6 April 2019
  • sim
    Re: Claiming Tax Relief on Mileage
    hi I get payed 45p per mile of my employer for business miles but universal credits say that it's income and reduce my monthly…
    29 March 2019
  • Panco
    Re: How Will My Second Job Be Taxed?
    I work 60 hours per week is £459 in week,but I looking for a job on weekends it’s will be 8 hours £68per booths days how much…
    28 March 2019
  • cdoggywoof
    Re: Are DVLA Car Tax Rates Fair?
    For someone who can only afford a car for £1000 and the VED will cost them £200 each year, which is 20% of the vehicle cost, this…
    21 March 2019
  • Whitely
    Re: How Will My Second Job Be Taxed?
    Hi, I am earning approx £9,000pa working in one job. I have been offered a second job where I will earn £3,400pa so it takes…
    19 March 2019
  • Leroy
    Re: How Will My Second Job Be Taxed?
    If i work 16.2.5 hours a week then in a second job do 10 hours a week how much tax will a pay
    13 March 2019
  • Fire
    Re: How Will My Second Job Be Taxed?
    Hi I work part time 22.5 hrs week and earn £17,500 year. I have just been offered extra work of 3 - 6 hours a month earning…
    13 February 2019
  • shelle
    Re: How Will My Second Job Be Taxed?
    i currently work 10 hors in supermarket been offered a job at care home 30 hours a week how / what will happen to tax how…
    23 January 2019
  • Wild child
    Re: How Will My Second Job Be Taxed?
    Hi I have a full time job and get 16,500 a year but thinking of getting a second job that I get 5,280 a month how much tax…
    21 January 2019