Home > Self Assessment > What is the Payment on Account and How Can I Reduce It?

What is the Payment on Account and How Can I Reduce It?

By: J.A.J Aaronson - Updated: 4 Apr 2014 | comments*Discuss
Payment On Account Tax Sa303 Reduce

The payment on account is an often-overlooked expenditure. Due twice a year, many self-employed people forget to write it into their budget calculations.

It is sometimes possible to have the payment on account reduced. But, unless you are confident that your earnings will fall in the next tax year, this can often be a mistake.

What is the Payment on Account?

The payment on account is a series of two payments made to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) over the course of the year by Self Assessment Taxpayers. The total of the two payments is normally equal to your total tax bill for the previous tax year, excluding student loan repayments and Capital Gains tax. The first payment on account is due on the 31 January, and the second is due on 31 July.

Why do I Have to Pay it?

The payment on account is designed as a way of reducing the shock of your tax bill at the end of the year. The payments go towards next year’s tax bill – the idea being that you pay your bill in instalments, rather than in one big chunk.

In this way, the payment on account is actually quite a sensible system. The downside, however, is that you will still be charged interest (and maybe penalties) if you are late with either of your payments on account, even though you don’t actually owe the money yet.

How Can I Get it Reduced?

It is sometimes possible to have your payment on account reduced. This mechanism is designed for situations in which you expect that your taxable earnings in the next tax year will be lower than they were in the tax year just gone. In these cases, if you just made your payment on account as it was originally calculated, you would probably end up paying too much tax.

If you want to have your payment on account reduced, you need to complete and return form SA303. You can get this from your Tax Office, or from the HMRC website. Alternatively, if you complete your tax return online, you can make your application from within the Self Assessment interface.

It is important to note that applications for a reduction in the payment on account must be received by 31 January, otherwise they will not be considered.

Should I Reduce my Payment on Account?

The payment on account obviously quite significantly increases your bill on 31 January. Because of this, there is a temptation to ask to have it reduced, even when you do not expect your next tax bill to be any lower.

There are several reasons why this is potentially a bad idea. To begin with, you should remember that you will still be charged interest on underpaid tax. So, if your actual taxable earnings for the next tax year are lower than you tell HMRC you expect them to be on your SA303, you will be charged interest on the difference between the payment on account that you made and the actual amount of tax you should have paid. This can easily add up.

Perhaps just as importantly, though, you should note that you are only putting the problem off until next year. Either way, you will have to pay the tax – so it might well be better to deal with the problem now, rather than later.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • mike
    Re: What is My Tax Code?
    I currently earn £27160 yearly and just got a second job for an agency earning around 140 a week what will my tax code change to.
    15 September 2020
  • Robbie
    Re: Should I be Paid Mileage Allowance?
    I worked for a company they agreed to pay me 20p per mile and I’ve submitted all the expense forms but they haven’t paid…
    10 September 2020
  • tiff
    Re: How Will My Second Job Be Taxed?
    i currently work 40 hours a week on £20,000 a year, but have taken on part time employment which is 15 hours a week on…
    8 September 2020
  • ade
    Re: How Will My Second Job Be Taxed?
    I have got a full time job , I earning 33000 a year and I started a part time self employed job last month hoping to earn…
    25 August 2020
  • pseagraves
    Re: Should I be Paid Mileage Allowance?
    I am receiving a small car allowance however my employer is only reimbursing 9p a mile based on an APR rate. Am I right…
    10 August 2020
  • Jas
    Re: How Will My Second Job Be Taxed?
    Hi I have 2 jobs my first job I get paid 1150 second job paid 362 after tax it is BR tax but I'm sure on both my jobs I am…
    2 July 2020
  • Stig
    Re: What is My Tax Code?
    I recently got moved on to a k2600 tax code. My earnings have increased and I now get a fully fuelled car. My earnings prior to this were…
    19 June 2020
  • Legend
    Re: Should I be Paid Mileage Allowance?
    Hi my company are not paying me mileage I'm doing 84 miles a day.They provide me with a works van but can I still claim…
    3 June 2020
  • Caramel
    Re: How Will My Second Job Be Taxed?
    I currently have a full time job and wonder if I get a second job, is it worth it? If earning under 40k (doing both jobs and…
    30 May 2020
  • Dee
    Re: How Will My Second Job Be Taxed?
    I'm currently working full-time, as from next week I will be going part-time, and at the same time starting a new part-time…
    6 May 2020